September 30, 2010

Table Topper Tutorial

This is my very first tutorial! I am excited to share this sewing craft with you.

Supplies:

-(2) Fabrics of your choice
-Regular Thread
-Scissors
-Lace
-Sewing Machine
-Rotary Cutter/ Mat/ Ruler
-Pins

1. On your mat and with your rotary cutter, cut an 18 x 18
square out of each material.


2. Take one of the 18x18 squares and sew the lace inward around
the entire edge of the fabric with a 1/4" seam.  


3. After the lace has been sewn around the 18x18 square, cut
the remaining lace off and sew the two ends together. 


4. Then lay the second 18x18 square on top of the lace with right sides
of the material facing each other. This is the time that I really like to
use the pins. It helps keep the materials stay in place.   


5. Sew around the edge using a 1/2" seam. Leave about 6" of the edge open.  


6. I like to make a few snips to each corner. It helps the corners to
lay flat. After snipping the corners turn the square inside out through
the 6" seam that is left open.  


7. Now iron each side of the square so it will lay flat. Careful not
to burn the lace or melt it onto the material.


8. While ironing, fold the open 6" seam inward so the edge
matches and then pin.


9. Sew all around with a 1/4" seam. 


10. Your Finished! Now you have two Table Toppers.


I have one for when I'm in a spooky mood...

or a candy mood!

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial. Happy Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, your double sided table runner is such a GENIUS idea! I love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cuter than Grandma Ruth's cuz it's double sided. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out super cute and your tutorial is awesome!

    ReplyDelete